Six months ago, the Province declared a public health emergency – we demand immediate, local emergency responses. Working on an application for a federal exemption for supervised consumption services is NOT an emergency response – an emergency response MUST be the IMMEDIATE creation of SCS services. [read the full demands and recommendations here]
Interim responses are required in Victoria NOW. These must include:
1. Access to widespread Opiate Substitution Therapy (OST) dispensing, including prescription heroin through HR sites and community health clinics.
2. Interim crisis funding for harm reduction agencies that are responding to overdose events and training others in Naloxone. (done)
3. Satellite harm reduction sites immediately established and staffed in locations experiencing overdose events. (done)
4. Interim exemption policy by provincial government to allow the creation of SCS while federal approval is pending. (done)
5. Access to drug testing equipment
6. Suspend local police enforcement of the war on people who use drugs.
7. Meaningful engagement of people who use(d) drugs in responses to ODs, and engagement of service users locally and at BC’s Joint Task Force and the Federal Opioid Summit